Sunday, May 15, 2016

May 15, 2016

Our 2nd week in the North Carolina Charlotte Mission allowed us, as you remember from the previous post, to be able to stay in Mt. Airy for the weekend.  On Monday morning we headed over to Gene's to get some ground steak sandwiches for later.  And to see my cousin, Freddy Hiatt!!

When we arrived in our hotel later in the day, our little cleaning lady had left us a sweet note.  She is the sweetest thing.  I made a little crochet heart for her....with my own note!!

We absolutely LOVE having 'cousin time' whenever we can get it.  Monday night was one of those times.  These are GOINS cousins.  Linda on the far right, beside of me, and Richard on the far left (with his wife Linda next to Wayne).  We went to the Cracker Barrel.  We had so much fun.  Surely love our family!!!

On Tuesday morning we headed back down to the Charlotte area.  On our way we decided to stop at the BETHABARA Moravian settlement just outside of Winston-Salem.  Since I have ancestors who were Moravian, I like to learn all I can about them.  In fact, it was my Great-Great Grandfather and Great-Great Grandmother (Dr. James Dickerson Dean and Esther Hiatt Dean) who were Moravian before joining the Mormon Church in Mt. Airy, N.C. in 1882!!!  How cool is that.  While we were visiting this quaint little village, there was a large school group on a field trip.  It was fun to watch them.  We happened to be in the gift shop area when the teacher gave instructions for their eating lunch.  She told the students that they would go in an orderly line to the bus, get their lunch and sit in the picnic area and wait until everyone was there.  They were NOT to begin eating their lunch until everyone was there and the blessing on the food had been said!!!!  WHOA!!!  I thought to myself....I couldn't believe my ears when she told them that.  ONLY in the south would you find that being said!!!  I LOVE IT!!!!  I LOVE being in the south.  That direction would NEVER, EVER fly anywhere else I do believe!!!

When we left Winston-Salem, we headed on down to Charlotte.  We decided to take a few minutes a visit Billy Graham!!  Well, at least his 'library' as it is called.  It is quite impressive and very friendly folks.  This barn-looking building is the library.

As we toured around, we came to this room.  This is a podium that Billy Graham used for many, many, many of his sermons.  He would carry it around with him on his travels.  I felt like I should begin preaching!  

I was able to finish this doily one evening in one of our hotel stays.  I kind of like this one.  It is NOT perfect....but I still like it.

Elder/Dr. Allgaier does such a GREAT job with his power point presentations to the missionaries in Zone Conference.  A lot of great advice....if only they would listen....AND remember these instructions.  Oh well...

While in Zone Conference in Greensboro, I decided to call Norm and Linda Lindsay.  I knew they lived close by.  Turns out they were less than a mile from the church!  They were excited we were there and slipped over for a few minutes!!  SO good to see them again.  They are life-long friends from way back in Maryland days when they used to live there.  Their kids and our kids basically grew up together.  Some of them remain friends to this day.

President and Sister Alexander are such wonderful leaders in the Charlotte Mission.  We feel we have developed such great friendships with them.  They have invited us to come to their home when they finish their mission!!  We just may do that!

Now, this is the most UNIQUE 'car czar' outfit I have personally seen in all 9 of our missions.  And why not wear your bathrobe!!  Elder Garlick says it cuts down on the laundering of his suits.  I thought it was just so cute.

When we finished Zone Conference on Friday, we drove part way down the road toward our trip back to Peachtree City.  We actually stayed in a little town of Shelby, N.C.  It is about 5 miles from the Kings Mountain National Park.  We have driven past these 'brown signs' a GAZILLION times.  This time....we STOPPED.  It was a great visit here.  Glad we finally got to see it.


Not far down the I-85 is our FAMOUS peach water tower.  We LOVE this peach.  

AND...we know that right by the PEACH is our most favorite Ice Cream place.  I got black walnut again!  I love that....

Sister Mason is our mission nurse here in the Georgia Atlanta Mission.  I made her a doily and gave it to her at church today.  We both got the 'yellow' memo!!!

Our District Leader, Elder Orellana and his companion, Elder Black asked if they come come visit us this afternoon.  Sure, we said.  We love our missionaries!!  They are so sweet.  They will be helping us move in 1 1/2 weeks......or at least loading the truck for us.

They actually wanted to come visit us last Sunday, Mother's Day.  When they called, we told them they were welcomed to come see us but that they would have to go through 3 missions to get to where we were....Mt. Airy, N.C.  They said they should probably not do that.  I told them to keep the roses alive and they could give them to me today.  And, they surely did.  They are barely alive....but they are alive!  

Well, that concludes yet one more round of Zone Conferences.  We have Zone Conferences again this week in the Georgia Macon Mission.  We are going to miss our mission so much!!  What will we ever do!!  We love the support each of you, our family, has shown us.  Your love and support have meant the world to us.  Thank you!!  We feel very blessed indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment