Sunday, November 15, 2015

Sunday, November 15, 2015


Well, hello again!  Wasn't it just yesterday that I was writing about last week!  Take my advice.....don't get old because the time seems to fly by and somehow you wonder how so much could happen in a week!!!  I know we certainly feel like that on a weekly basis!

Last Sunday evening after I sent out my 'weekly update', Rodney (our neighbor who used to live across the hall from us, paid us a visit.  And the Elders (Norlund and Parkin) came over for a visit with us as well.  Rodney had something he was showing the 'guys' on his cell phone.


On Monday we took Elders Norlund and Parkin to do a little 'birthday shopping' because they both had birthdays this week.  Elder Norlund was SO excited he found a vest he really liked!  I had to open up his pockets for him on his vest.

We took them to Dickey's Bar-B-Que for their birthday dinner.  We should have discovered this place about 1 1/2 years ago.  It is really good!

Tuesday it was back on the road again.  We headed back up to the North Carolina Charlotte Mission for the last week of their Zone Conferences.  Got to love the road signs along the way......we MUST be in the Bible Belt.

We absolutely LOVE being with our wonderful missionaries in all 9 of our missions.....along with the wonderful mission presidents and their wives!  We feel SO blessed to be associated with all of them.  Here President Alexander is thanking the Relief Society Sisters for preparing our lunch on this particular day.  And then the missionaries sing to them!


 While we were gone this week we celebrated VETERAN'S DAY!  I had to think of my father who served in the U.S. Navy as well as my wonderful eternal companion and his service in the U.S. Navy!  How grateful I am to have their service for our country.  By the way, that is Jonathan and David with Wayne.  We were serving on Guam toward the end of the Viet Nam War time.  It was obviously Christmas time.

Count me crazy, but I found a crochet pattern for this cute little basket!  I decided to take a 30 minute break from working on an afghan to make this basket.  The only yarn I had with me was red, white and blue.....but actually worked out well since it was Veterans Day!

On Thursday, November 12th our Zone Conference was actually held in the Colfax, N.C. Chapel.  I felt so blessed to be able to be here.  This is the ward I was attending with my family when I was baptized at age of 8 years.  The top right foto is what the original chapel looked like.  The bottom right is what the 'new' chapel looks like.  It is hard to believe that it has been 59 years ago this month that I was baptized!

During the lunch on this day, the Relief Society sisters had a short video about the stake that they wanted to share with the missionaries.  However, that meant video equipment had to be set up.  AND how many Senior Elders does it take to figure out how to connect everything??  They finally got it going ...... bless their hearts!

There was absolutely NOTHING spared for the missionary lunch today.......complete FULL turkey dinner and everything completely homemade.  Including the variety of pies!!  And look at those decorations.  NOTHING SPARED!!!  Seriously T.H.E. best!!

And I got some good 'cousin time' in today......Aleta VonCannon Knudsen (and we got to visit her parents grave site behind the chapel after lunch), Polly McNeill who helped prepare the lunch AND Faye Collins.  I surely feel blessed that I have so many cousins living right here in our mission area.

In between the Zone Conference and going to Faye and Ronnie Collins home in the evening, we had to make a trip to the hospital in Wtilkesboro (about 1 1/2 hours away).  Poor Sister Spain had to have emergency surgery for her appendix that morning.  Her companion, Sister Sherwood, kept us closely informed so we knew almost minute by minute how things were going.  Sister Spain was recovering very well.  She was able to go home the next day.  We took little stuffed animals to both of them.


 At our last Zone Conference for this week we got to see Elder LeSueur and Elder Jackman.  We had gotten to know both of them when they were in Mt. Airy.  Elder LeSueur was 'seen' when we were at Gene's having a ground steak.  We just 'happened' to be there when he needed to be seen.  AND Elder Jackman had to have an emergency appendectomy!  What is with these missionaries and their appendix!!  We surely love them.....

As we finished up our Zone Conferences, we were leaving the chapel in Greensboro.  We happened to turn on the radio, which we always never do.  We were hearing about the horrible massacre in Paris, France.  I decided to change my FaceBook profile to show support for France by adding the red/white/blue.....like so many others were doing.  
And at the same time we started driving toward what we thought would be our stay for the night in Spartanburg, S.C. we got a call from a mission president in the Georgia Macon Mission.  Arrangements were being made for a missionary to be sent home on an emergency basis.  Elder/Dr. Allgaier would need to accompany him.  How long would it take for us to get back to Atlanta??  We headed straight there, cancelling our hotel in Spartanburg, S.C.  We got to see the pretty night time skyline of Atlanta as we made our way to the Atlanta Airport.  It took us 7 hours to drive back but we made it in time for the flight!



Several tender mercies of the night:  1) Since I would be home alone and have to unpack the car from our 1-week trip that we were just finishing, I was praying for a close parking space in front of our apartment.  That would be a huge help.  2)  I was praying that the Elders would show up to help me unpack the car!!  My prayers were totally answered!  As I was about 5 minutes from pulling into our apartment complex I got a phone call from the Elders.  They wanted to know where I was.  They had come by the apartment when they thought I would be home and the lights were out and there was no Maryland car in the parking lot.  Was I okay?  I told them I was 5 minutes away.  They said they would meet me here.  When I pulled in and saw a parking space right in front our of apartment, I knew the Lord had heard my prayers and answered BOTH of my concerns.  The Elders were standing outside waiting for me.  They completely unloaded the car for me.  Tender mercies!  A.B.S.O.L.U.T.E.L.Y!!!  Prayers are heard and answered.  This is a foto of the hotel room that Wayne had for a few hours in Salt Lake after he arrived and made sure the Elder was safely in the care of his parents.

It was so good to pick him up some 18 hours later.

You may remember Jack and J.T.  New converts.  Father and son.  Well, today was very special for them.  They passed the Sacrament for the first time.  We bought Jack a new tie.  Jack has been having some eye problems, hence his wearing a patch over his eye.

 Even with the chilly temperatures, it was fun to see this little family driving their golf cart to and from church today.  Don't worry.....they had blankets to wrap over their laps to keep them warm.

And, that, folks, wraps up yet another week.  We head out tomorrow for the Tennessee Knoxville Mission where we will be for the next 8 days.  We get back to Peachtree City 2 days before Thanksgiving.  Y'all have a great week.  Can't wait to see the adventures for this week!!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment